Tuesday, 10 November 2015

books and socks



Throw - BHS


This year is going by so fast - I can't believe we are in November and Christmas is only a month a way. There's something so magical about the winter months, I find myself wanting to blog again. 

I wanted to share my latest reads with you. I've been spending those rainy days consumed by the words on the pages - cocooned in my own little world. I have strayed away from my usual mysteries and thrillers with these two books. Both books made quite an impression on me, so thought it would be rude not to share them.


Truly unlike any book I have read before. The book captures the uneasiness of adolescents, after a high school sex scandal becomes front page news. As the teenage girls at the school come to terms with this, they begin to question the potency of their own sexuality and desires. The story in the news also serves as inspiration for the annual play put on by local drama collage students - 'the real world and the world of theatre are forced to meet, and soon the boundaries between private and public begin to dissolve...'

I found the narrative quite challenging - what was a performance and what was real? I decided to put my confusion to one side and to persist with the story, as I was so intrigued by the theatrical aspect. However, once I finished, I was unsure how to feel. Was this book too intellectual for me? Did I miss something crucial to the story?

'eves are designed, not made.
The School trains them to be pretty
The School trains them to be good.
The School trains them to Always be Willing.

All their lives, the eves have been waiting.
Now, they are ready for the outside world.
companion . . . concubine . . . or chastity
Only the best will be chosen.
And only the Men decide'.


After reading reviews by Chelsea and Lauren, this book was at the top of my to-read list. Set in a disturbing dystopia, the eves must conform and compete to be the most beautiful, the most perfect. The main character is an eve named frieda. She is soon to find out what her future will be - companion, concubine or chastity? 
I could not put this book down. The alarming world in which this book is set, is in many ways an extreme version of the world we live in today. Let me emphasise the word, extreme. It's almost poetic that these eves were to show no emotions; however, this book left me feeling a mix of emotions. I really don't want to give too much away but I will say, this book is worth the read!
  

'Are you brain dead? Personality does NOT matter. All that matters is being pretty, you...' she stammers with rage, 'you feminist'.' There's a horrified gasp.  'Well, it's true,' she says defiantly. 'Being pretty is all that matters.'




8 comments:

  1. Aw yay, I'm glad you picked up Only Ever Yours! It stirred up my emotions as well, love the quote you pulled! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - it's such a great book! so relevant! :)

      Delete
  2. I have to add these books to my to-read list, I love your socks by the way!

    http://daristo-chic.blogspot.com.mt/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Only Ever Yours too! She's recently released another novel, Asking For It, next on my to-be-read list!

    Love the socks too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeep! Thanks for the sock feature lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. OKAY so I now want to read both but am going to get only ever yours first now, thanks for the fab post always like something a bit different xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. great combo for rainy weekend:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice socks! Only Ever Yours is next on my reading list so I'm really looking forward to giving it a go after this glowing review!
    Megan x
    London Callings

    ReplyDelete